4 - Despising other believers
"Despising" is quite a harsh word!
It is - isn't it!
It carries the idea of looking down on / treating with contempt. So in many ways the reverse of what you have felt - being jealous of others who seem to be doing better.
For interest- the word Jesus uses here is used 9 times in the New Testament:
- Matt 6:24 - not able to serve two masters: loving one, despising the other
- Matt 18:10 - the verse we are thinking about: looking down on other believers - maybe those who are younger in the faith
- Luke 16:13 - again thinking about two masters
- Rom 2:4 - showing contempt for God's kindness and goodness
- 1 Cor 11:22 - despising the church - and particularly humiliating the poor
- 1 Tim 4:12 - not allowing anyone to look down on you even if you are younger or weaker
- 1 Tim 6:2 - not showing proper respect to believers in authority over us
- Heb 12:2 - reminding us of how Jesus "scorned" the shame of the cross
- 2 Pet 2:10 - those who despise authority
An interesting collection!